Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A lesson from Cannacoin: What I don't ever want to see happen here.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lesson from Cannacoin: What I don't ever want to see happen here.

OK, so after trying to participate in the Cannacoin community - I'll never be a one-group kinda person btw - I got a long reply from a moderator on r/cannacoin. I'm not going to go into detail on that here, but I will just post the follow up reply to me... "I appreciate your ideas and reaching out to Cannacoin, but I'm going to remove your thread w/ Potcoin in the title. Cheers."

If this kind of shit ever happens here, I'm out. As so should every one else imo.

I gave them a seven point reply, batting back unfounded (to my mind - they didn't provide any evidence) and uninsightful accusations and criticisms of Potcoin. I just wanted to copy and paste the response regarding the above in order to elaborate...

"Six) And this is crucial. If anyone, ever, decided to take a post down on r/potcoin, or PotcoinJoint, simply because I had mentioned a "rival" in the title, I would dump that coin like a shot. This action you are taking is way more evidential of group-think than anything I have come across at potcoin. You question their motives, yet to be too loyal is, for me, just as bad as not being loyal at all. It inherently limits innovation, it inherently points to a closed or closing system, and will inherently limit the optimisation of your community."

It sadden me really. There is enough room in this emerging ecosystem for plenty of cannabis-related coins - I would highly recommend everyone, at every scale of Potcoin, forget about any ideas of hegemony, for both our own sakes and that of the cannabis industry and wider culture. Hegemony is power, and power will always, always, always corrupt. Perhaps it is merely a reflection of how well potcoin is doing that they felt they need to resort to this kind of unfounded slander and censorship, but even so, it's sad. People are always better together than apart, and I hate to see negative dynamics in such a beautiful community. It shows the importance of having an over-arching culture to mitigate such negativity below the theme, pot, that unites us outside of cryptocurrencies. We cannot forget the importance of that link all cannabis coins share, and not allow this new ecosystem to warp our behaviour in way Wall Street would so easily recognise.

Peace out brosis.

<3

Oh. I see they are now making moves to try and systematise bounties. I wonder where they got that idea? From the post I had taken down that said, "Don't be scared about people thinking you are copying Potcoin", perhaps? That's pretty lame considering they were on their way to formulating that idea anyway. Who knows, maybe it isn't as causal as I think and it is a lingering (but tiny, tiny) bitterness lol

Comment

You are kidding...right? Canna had no biz pulling a comment about a different coin. If they are that worried, I wonder how successful the coin will be? I actually mine both right now. I'm not a big time miner or anything but I'm collecting a few (<5k) of each until the industry finally decides what they are going to use as the standard. I hope this forum doesn't proceed in that direction. I'm also wondering if I should quit mining that coin. Hmmmm.....food for thought. Wish I had a blunt to get the juices flowing. Thanks for the info.

'nuff Said

Comment

Me too.. about the blunt. Smoking a fag with my morning coffee I wouldn't let one thing determine your course though. All these coins should be supported, even if it's just to the extent of not turning hostile. I was more concerned about planting a seed of warning for here, because I love it here, and every community I've been a part of in the past I have had to leave after uncovering, and trying to rectify, group-think dynamics. It's not just for my personal sake - group-think is a danger for any successful community.

Comment

I'm not sure 'group-think' is the correct term. Sounds a bit like communism, for lack of a better. But, after some thought, I'm not able to come up with a better. Independent thinking is what drives advancement and creativity. But, as you termed, group-think, 'usually' means strength. Which one does POT need?

sidenote; the blunt isn't legal in my state yet, so I have to settle for a hydrocodone pain reliever.

'nuff Said

Comment

• Grimeandreason
            Grimeandreason commented
            Editing a comment
            Group-think only means strength until it means ****-up. That's the problem with group-think. Communism is a form of self-organisation, whereas group-think is universal to any group. Archetypal examples are the Bay of Pigs SNAFU, and the Challenger space shuttle explosion. Group-think merely means that independent thought is shut-out through various ways, often subconciously. We are social animals of hierarchical nature, and when you are part of a system that is too closed, people tend to start thinking along the same lines. This results in issues being ignored "for the greater good", and multiple other "good" sounding reasons. Time is group-thinks enemy though, and without the outside thinking problems can get to an irredeemable point before people can no longer ignore it. It happens in any institution regardless of the political framework - think how whistleblowers generally get treated even when the issue is really, really bad. A particular foul example in the UK is how Jimmy Saville got away with so much. Everyone knew that everyone knew, but very few had the balls to say anything. That it took balls to say anything, despite the heinous possibilities, is a perfect illustration of the power and breadth group-think can have.

Hey Grime? Are your posts being censured now? Mine are....sux!

Comment

• CapnBDL
            CapnBDL commented
            Editing a comment
            Problem fixed!

Hey CapnBDL,

We just replied to your email regarding your concerns. As explained, we are fixing some bug which is causing this.

Your posts are not being censored, we are working on fixing this as we speak. Thanks for your patience

Comment

Issue should be fixed now. Please report any issues you are having with the website. User's feedback is critical in order to improve the website continuously.

Comment

• CapnBDL
              CapnBDL commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok....thanks. Let me try this again.

Ahhh....problem fixed!! Tell who did it however..."don't check that little box. It messes things up." lol, no really, thanks.

nuff Said
            Last edited by CapnBDL; 2014-06-17, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I would have reported it here.. unfortunately the bug was that I couldn't post here lol, hence I used twitter!

Comment

Just trying to get the coins mentioned, thanks!

PB8rx23ukVwcgswRqGPK3iMbCAJBJzajqv

Comment

Working...
                X